Having a green lawn does not only come with aesthetic benefits. Many people don’t know that a lawn can help cool down your home, that it releases a significant amount of oxygen, and that it captures dirt and dust, thus helping to keep your family healthy. Plus, when you have a gorgeous lawn, you can use it for various activities, like hosting BBQ’s in your yard. While we all strive to have a healthy and beautiful lawn, a lot of us have trouble actually creating one. Fortunately, we have gathered some useful tips to help you have an easier time taking care of your lawn and make it the envy of the neighborhood.
Tips for a Healthy Lawn
Here are some ways to help your lawn look amazing this fall:
- Don’t cut your grass too short – you might be thinking that you’ll have to cut it less often, but cutting your grass short can cause it to turn brown. There’s a chance you might hit the ground, too. Try to keep your grass at around three inches. You can prolong the life of your mower and you’ll reduce the strain on your lawn.
- Leave the leaves – don’t rake all of the leaves off of your lawn this fall. You can do a quick pass over them with your mower to cut them into smaller shreds. This will naturally help to improve the topsoil.
- Remove weeds regularly – weeds may pose an even bigger threat to the appearance of your lawn than anything else. They can crowd out healthy grass and rob vital nutrients from soil. Don’t just cut the weeds with your grass, get rid of them entirely!
- Take care of bare spots – don’t forget to add new seeds to bare patches on your lawn.
- Water at the right time – if you wait until the cooler parts of the day to water your lawn, then your grass will benefit more. Avoid wetting your lawn in the middle of the day. Aim for the morning, as watering during the hottest parts of the day will encourage evaporation and leave you with brown grass.
The most important tip is to enjoy your lawn. Now that the weather is starting to cool off, it is the perfect time. If you have any questions about irrigation needs during the cooler season or need to install or repair your lawn watering system, contact Challenger Irrigation. We service Hernando, Pasco, Pinellas, and Citrus counties with new irrigation system installation or repair for existing systems. Call us to set up an appointment today!